Friday, June 29, 2012

Transformation

Check out all this Kaffe-goodness!  Aren't they wonderful?  
As I've had time this week, these beauties have been slowly transformed into....

These....with cute little polka dot strips that are cut at 1".  They are beginning to be transformed into....
These .... which have to be cut one at a time for quality control purposes.  And eventually they will look like....
These!  This is a makeover of the Kaffe shot cotton blocks that I started last summer and blogged about here.  Of course, that quilt top isn't done.  It's my travel project for my little Jem and I'm hoping we'll be going north later this summer together.  We'll see.  As an aside, do you see the ripped out places on these blocks?  The jelly roll has a little kink in it from cutting and I finally realized that I have to use the outside of the pinked edge if I'm going to get my 2.5" and 3.0" dimensions.  I did a lot of trial and error before I finally figured that out!  Duh!

This has been a weird time for me.  I have no idea where my quilting mojo has gone -- but I miss it.  Mom22smartchix was here last weekend and did great things for getting my desire to quilt more front of mind.  One thing I do know about me is that when I am a bit blue, cutting into Kaffe fabric is the perfect therapy.  I've started many a Kaffe quilt in January and February when the weather and sky leave much to be desired.  It's like bringing sunshine inside!  I have needed a little inner sunshine and this may be just the ticket!

It's also been a good week as Wimbledon started this week (LOVE IT!) and Le Tour de France begins tomorrow.  I will watch every single minute I can and then watch the replays later in the day.  Can't explain it -- suffice it to say there are lots of aspects of Le Tour that I love.  And it's hot here -- 108 degrees predicted today.  Air conditioning, tennis, and cycling seem like a good combination for this weekend!

I hope you are finding your own sunshine in your life!  Jan


23 comments:

Foolish Feathers said...

I love fabric therapy! I understand the loss of one's quilting mojo, especially when I look at all that I accomplished last year. But like you said in your previous clock block post, one sometimes needs to slow down for quality control and just purely enjoying the process. Are you planning to watch the Olympics?

Foolish Feathers said...

Sorry, I meant Cotton blocks post.

Pattilou said...

Quilting mojo, I've found can come and go without explanation! Enjoy your weekend!

Anonymous said...

Cheerful fabric can do much to cheer us up when we need a little boost. Your therapy looks very pretty indeed :)

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Fabric therapy - can't beat it! Hope you find your mojo soon :)

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like the makeover! And I have always wondered where you measure on pinking sheared jelly rolls. The only time I've used them, it accuracy wasn't an issue, but I have wondered for *next* time! Thanks for figuring it out!

M-R Charbonneau said...

Fabric therapy is the best! I find that working on a very simple project helps me stay in the habit of quilting and gets me inspired to try new things. Loving those scraps!

Sarah Craig said...

Hopefully Kaffe will help restore your quilting mojo! Your blocks are lovely - can't wait to see the finished project! Whoop whoop!!

Sam said...

Wow - 1"! I love handmade quilts at my place but I am a lot less adventurous than you! I hope to one day be that brave :)

scraphappy said...

I like what you have done to your blocks. As much as I am generally opposed to unsewing, they look great with the light colored strips.

Dar said...

Love your little makeover blocks. I hope your mojo returns soon. My problem is too much mojo and not enough time to use it. Maybe I could send some to you through the net!! ha

Keep on playing with those colors and it will return.

Quilter Kathy said...

Fabric therapy is essential! Love your project!

Kate said...

Those Kaffe strips and blocks look like little jewels. Hope your mojo returns full force soon.

Carla said...

Good morning. I found you over at Quiting by the River.
Love those fabrics and your project will be great.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Working with these beautiful fabrics will definitely get your quilting mojo back! Good luck with the size of the blocks. Thanks for sharing.
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Carolyn said...

Fabric always makes me feel better, too. These blocks are so pretty.

I love to watch the cycling events, too.

Jill said...

Pretty pretty fabrics!!! I've just started watching the Tour de France for the first time this year! I'm really enjoying it!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Patti said...

Love Kaffe fabric as well! Hope it keeps you inspired!

The Cozy Quilter said...

Love what you are doing with your Kaffe scraps! his fabrics bring sunshine to anyone who sews with them.

Angie in SoCal said...

Love Kaffe Fassett fabric. I buy it to use in applique. Do have your vitamin D3 levels checked. I was like you and went to complain to the doc that I had nor desire to do anything and always blue - she checked and mine were way low. It hits me hardest in the winter. Love your project!

Etcetorize said...

I have the same challenges with sewing, I have to really be in the mood to do otherwise things go disasterous quickly. So, when the mood hits, I sew like a crazy person. I agree with ANudge, I often find it more challenging in the winter months. Thanks so much for sharing at Etcetorize this week~

Melissa Corry said...

Thank heavens for Fabric Therapy

Be Colorful Coastal said...

Love the colors and patterns and when the spirt and inspiration move you again I will be waiting to see how you pull this all together. Thanks for sharing your progress this week at BeColorful.
p