In spite of the heat, I've managed to sew a bit everyday this week and get a few things done.
I need to iron all the little blocks (open of course to minimize see through on the little green polka dot fabric). They will become pairs who will become four patches that eventually will be end up in 16 patches. My challenge will be not to over think this as I put fabrics together. It would be easy to spend too much time deciding what to put together. I think I'll try to live with the "rule" that no two pieces in the same pattern in the four patches -- and leave it at that. We'll see if I can do that!
I also got the back pieced for the birthday quilt -- and the batting as well. These are wool pieces that I had and I just love the "lightness" that comes with a wool batt. Personally, I've never been satisfied with piecing battings on my machine. I always end up with some bunching as one piece moves through the machine at a different rate than the other -- even with a walking foot.
I've gotten into the habit of trimming my batting pieces up into strips when I trim my quilts after quilting. The strips may be 4"-12" and they go in a tote. Many of the six quilts I took to Chicago to quilt two months ago were "pieced" like the one above. I bought one roll of 1.5"of "batting tape" but it's a tad pricey. So, I bought some lightweight interfacing, cut it into 1.5" strips, and it's worked like a charm. Both in the "piecing" and flatness and in the quilting.
I hope you're finding time to create! Jan