Saturday, May 21, 2011
And yet again....
This is not strip pieced in the way you might think (and I thought at first). Instead, you create two strips (staggered at the ends to account for the diagonal cut you're going to make) and sew them together at the top and botton (so you really have a tube). You then cut the "tube" into a triangle and pick out the stitches at the peak of the triangle. When it's opened you have a square....and you have homespuns on the bias with no foundation. So, for this to work, you have to use WOF strips and not the "scraps" we normally have for foundation piecing string quilts.
I got really weary of this and all the sewing and put it up for two years. I'm pleased to say I pulled it out in a fit of "finishing" last year and perservered to finish it. I really like it but it lost some of it's appeal when I got tired of sewing, cutting, and re-sewing along the way. The sashing is great,I think, and does a great job of stabilizing the blocks. You can see just a bit of the piano key border -- which was a great way to use up scraps, thank goodness. I had oodles.
I hope you have your mojo in full swing (who wouldn't after looking at all the amazing quilts at Amy's Bloggers Quilt Festival).
Keep piecing, Jan