Saturday, May 17, 2014

Extreme swaps!


If you've ever done a swap, you know you are at the mercy of your fellow swappers.  I have done 9 patches, nickels, charms, and these little 4 patches.  In every situation, I have been excited with some of the blocks or fabric as well as amazed that someone thought it was acceptable to include some others in the swap. I have to admit, I am still not over getting a charm square of pool balls that was thinner than toilet paper!
You may remember from previous posts that we had to do 800 4-patches that finish at 1.5".  Tiny little things.  But, when you are dealing with such small pieces, a variation of 1/8" is noticeable. Without showing examples and calling anyone out (including me), let's just say there is a LOT of variation in these.  Anytime you make 800 of anything, it's natural to lose your motivation, your mojo, and your accuracy.  Hence, the sashings help control the little stinkers who are less than accurate.
But -- I love them and this will be different from any quilt I have ever made.  And a few of the swappers are friends and our mutual history together is reflected in some of those little 4 patches.  As an aside, their little patches were just fine.  :-)
On the other side of swapping are these lovely little HSTs.  These were all done with friends and they are great!  We used Edyta Sitar's HST papers with a guideline of batiks in shades of autumn.  What a great way to do a swap.
We all used her papers and the accuracy is great.  Each of us stitched our papers, cut them, and divided them up.  That way, the recipient has to take off the papers, press them, and cut the bunny ears off.  I'm not sure what they will end up in but it's so fun to see them and I am loving that they are all the same size!
So -- two swaps.  Love them both but one requires a lot of finessing and one is ready to go once I get time and decide what to do.  Every swap is a roll of the dice and I think accepting the fact that some items are going to be less than perfect is worth the gamble!

I hope you're finding ways to create!

Jan


11 comments:

Melinda said...

Love how you've fixed the size problem with your four patches. They look great.
I have participated in probably pushing fifty block swaps and I've learned to expect about 10% unacceptable blocks. Too high for some people but I think it's an ok trade off for the joy of swapping.

Eclectic Red Barn said...

Wow, you are certainly a patient person. I love how you fixed your size problem. I wish I could quilt more but something seems to always get in my way. I have many blocks that are done and need to be put together.
I really appreciate quilters.
Bev

Polly @ Pieces by Polly said...

Looks like fun! The only swaps I've participated in are for I-Spy Squares, but I've loved them every time.

Thanks for linking up to The Weekly Block Party.

AnnieO said...

Yikes, 800? That is dedication! I agree about swaps and rolling the dice, but it is still fun to join up occasionally!

Ramona said...

I'd like to be on the receiving end of some of your batik HST's. :) I have not participated in a swap before, and can see where it could be a challenge to make the blocks work. Your 4 patch top is looking great.

Glenda said...

800 that number makes me turn and run, but oh how lovely they look when finished. I admire your determination. LOL It is surprising what you can do with washings but you can not make toilet paper fabric in to thicker fabric LOL. Cheers glenda

Catherine said...

I've not done a swap yet as I feel I'm too new to quilting and would not like to disappoint anyone with my attempts. One day I'll jump in.

Sarah @ Georgia Girl Quilts said...

EIGHT HUNDRED?!?! Wow! You are definitely more patient than I. I love the idea of that HST swap though! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF this week!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What great swaps!! 800 blocks.....of my! Thanks for sharing at Linky Tuesday! Freemotion by the River

Leanne Parsons said...

800? That's a lot of teeny little patches! I love the sashing around them. It really separates them nicely (and helps with other issues!).

Amanda said...

They look great! The small patches will make such a cool quilt!