Well, it's done -- and I mean really done. I had thought I would add some borders out of the neutral sashing fabric but when I auditioned them, they didn't do a thing for it. They only made it bigger and didn't seem to frame it like I saw it in my head. So, surprisingly, this lap quilt is finished and ready to be quilted.
Because I chose to go with sashing that finishes at 1/2", I actually lost about 7" across the width of the quilt (compared to sashing that finishes the same size as the blocks -- 3/4"). Don't ask me how I could even think that a 3/4" sashing looked clunky -- but I did. I made two sample blocks and left them on my design wall for about a week. Every time I looked at the one with 3/4" sashing, I didn't like it as well as the one with smaller strips controlling the little 4-patches. Seriously. It makes no sense to me, either.
I originally thought I would count the pieces in this top and then I thought again. There are 960 4-patches that finish at 1.5" plus all kinds of sashing strips. I'm probably better off not knowing. It finished about 60' x 64' so it will be a good lap quilt with lots of fabrics to look at if I get bored.
The "underbelly" is a bit of a hot mess. Most of the seams are pressed open -- or at least started that way. Talk about "the good, the bad, and the ugly!"
As I mentioned in previous posts -- I really like it. But not enough to do it again!
I hope you are working on something that is unique and challenging!