Friday, August 19, 2011

Do you keep your quilts?

What do you do when someone gifts you fabrics that you love?  Stash them for a future project for someone else or do you know they are just for you?  I have real trouble using fabrics for someone else's quilt when they were selected for me.  I'm not sure how many quilts I need just for me...little old me.....but it's more than one - that much I know.  I've posted my Birthday Confetti quilt and 60th birthday quilt as they are both made with fabrics that were given to me and I love.  And they are mine.  All mine....

Many of the fabrics in the quilt on the left were sent to me by my daughter-in-law's mother after a visit to Chicago to see us.  There are special fabrics in here that have meaning to her/us:  butterflies which she loves and water-like fabrics to represent their cottage we visited outside Kingston, Ontario. I added some fabrics to blend with them, including the reddish fabric you see to represent the feldspar mines (quarries?) near their cottage.

Back with knock-off Minkee -- yummy!

Turtle Crossing.  Don't you love it?
I've named this quilt "Road to Verona" as their cottage is near Verona, Ontario and the pattern is "County Lines" I think.  I love it for what it represents and don't think I could ever give it to anyone other than them or our son/daughter-in-law.  It has been a favorite watching TV quilt over the last two winters.


Do you have quilts that are special in some way and they can only stay with you or a select few?  Who could appreciate a quilt more than the lucky person who was gifted the fabrics?

The sign below is for laughs.  This is a legitmate sign on a side road near their cottage reminding drivers to watch for turtles during the summer months.  Gotta keep that camera -- this is one of those pix that makes me smile everytime I see it!


Keep piecing!  Jan





2 comments:

Teresa Rawson said...

I have such a hard time using some fabrics, hence the stash. Just last week I was thinking of making a quilt for someone and planning a trip to the quilt store...why not just go down to the quilt cave and pick something out?!? Weird!

I think the scrappy quilts are the hardest ones to part with...each one is kind of a snapshot of my stash at that moment in time.

Beautiful quilt...I know they will cherish it always!

In stitches,
Teresa :o)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Keep the quilts you love, gift the rest. I have my favorite 12 or so that I'll probably never give away. I have found that after a year I'm ready to give some of them away too, just not right away when they are first finished.