As you can see, mine doesn't exactly match the cover quilt. When I put the squares together, they were too mushy for me and not enough definition -- so I added sashing and setting squares. Others from the group were much more "true" to the original pattern although I'm not sure everyone got around to the border blocks. I didn't. I was ready to stop and move on to something else.
The "reveal" was so much fun. There were two from batiks that didn't come close to looking the same; one from Cherrywoods that was wonderful (not seen here), another from blue and white (with a bit of orange) shirts from Goodwill (also MIA), and one from homespuns. They were all incredible. And then there was the red herring which was presented by a quilting friend: a piece of fabric that matched the pattern perfectly. It was her "whole cloth" quilt and not a stitch was sewn. All she had to do was cut it off 1/4" from a row of blocks all the way around in case she decided to put a binding on. The beauty of quilting friends is that was okay with everyone. "Friends" is the operative word and "quilting" is the adjective.
Because I was trying to use up my 30's fabrics, I chose to piece the back and cut squares 12.5" x 12.5" or 6.5" x 12.5". I also added three extra blocks and called the deal done! For the most part, my 30's fabrics are gone, the back is sort of fun, and I don't have orphan blocks looking for a home in the future.
The next challenge is with fabrics that were supplied by one of the group and we're to supplement with a certain number from our stash if we want. It's due in October and the way house hunting is looking, I won't be able to get to my fabric by then so I'll definitely be late in my "assignment". That will be fine with everyone and we'll "reveal" mine at a later date.
I hope you're having lots of quilting fun and are lucky enough to have quilting friends who challenge you in all the best ways! Jan