Friday, August 12, 2011

Another challenge finished

This is yet another challenge quilt among some friends.  We all started out to make the cover quilt from Cozy Modern Quilts by Kim Schaeffer.  Link to Amazon:   http://www.amazon.com/Cozy-Modern-Quilts-Pieced-Projects/dp/1571206221/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1313184338&sr=1-8#_ The last challenge was solids (which is yet to be quilted); the original challenge is this quilt where fabric was supplied and we all did our own thing.  http://iquiltforfun.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-post_19.html?showComment=1311037552658#c1696207205153164836

As you can see, mine doesn't exactly match the cover quilt.  When I put the squares together, they were too mushy for me and not enough definition -- so I added sashing and setting squares.  Others from the group were much more "true" to the original pattern although I'm not sure everyone got around to the border blocks.  I didn't.  I was ready to stop and move on to something else.

The "reveal" was so much fun.  There were two from batiks that didn't come close to looking the same; one from Cherrywoods that was wonderful (not seen here), another from blue and white (with a bit of orange) shirts from Goodwill (also MIA), and one from homespuns.  They were all incredible.  And then there was the red herring which was presented by a quilting friend:  a piece of fabric that matched the pattern perfectly.  It was her "whole cloth" quilt and not a stitch was sewn.  All she had to do was cut it off 1/4" from a row of blocks all the way around in case she decided to put a binding on.  The beauty of quilting friends is that was okay with everyone.  "Friends" is the operative word and "quilting" is the adjective.

Because I was trying to use up my 30's fabrics, I chose to piece the back and cut squares 12.5" x 12.5" or 6.5" x 12.5".  I also added three extra blocks and called the deal done!  For the most part, my 30's fabrics are gone, the back is sort of fun, and I don't have orphan blocks looking for a home in the future. 

The next challenge is with fabrics that were supplied by one of the group and we're to supplement with a certain number from our stash if we want.  It's due in October and the way house hunting is looking, I won't be able to get to my fabric by then so I'll definitely be late in my "assignment".  That will be fine with everyone and we'll "reveal" mine at a later date.

I hope you're having lots of quilting fun and are lucky enough to have quilting friends who challenge you in all the best ways!  Jan




1 comment:

Krista Schneider said...

I like how you gave the "orphan" blocks a home dead center on the back. I was planning to do that with a quilt until I realized I had enough extras to simply add another row! Looks great!