Friday, June 17, 2011
This is the first quilt I ever tried to make my own. I was completely self taught (via books and magazines) and did not know one single quilter I could ask for advice or guidance.
My lessons learned:
1. I used cheap fabrics
2. I used cheap muslin for the neutral (like cheesecloth!)
3. I didn't understand 1/4" seam allowance and didn't even try to achieve it
4. I didn't have any idea how to do the setting squares
5. I started hand quilting and over quilted it -- thinking that I would do cross hatching 1" apart. That never happend -- I lost my mojo after completing one direction.
6. I had gaps where the squares were so poorly constructed that there was batting showing.
7. I didn't understand color layout and placement and should have made some different decisions in order to have a secondary pattern.
8. All I had to go by was a black and white picture in a magazine with no cutting instructions.