Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

I'm happy to say this quilt is in Toronto and waiting for our new grandson who should put in an appearance anytime between now and early March.
I learned a lot on this quilt and for the most part -- it was fun.  Make a mistake?  Just make it work. No ripping.  Just changing direction when something didn't go as planned.
I quilted with a light gray thread and let me tell you -- there is no place to hide when you are quilting solids with semi-straight lines.  No pattern in the fabric to hide your boo-boos.  No busy pieced blocks to hide your "oops".  No forgiving backing that hides your goofs. They are out there for everyone to see.
I know this is a bit unorthodox for a baby quilt -- and I had no idea how it would be received. Interestingly, when we got home, I began to get lots of questions about how I had quilted it as they looked more and more closely. I did lots of starts and stops and burying thread so anytime I "hit" a tree, I stopped, tied off, and restarted somewhere else.  Once I sent this picture of the quilt on Lola, our son understood -- and appreciated the effort even more.
So, I'm looking forward to meeting Rex Webb Steve (our grandson's choice of names for his little brother) in a month or two and seeing that little guy on his birch tree quilt.

I hope you are quilting for someone you love -- whether you've met them yet or not!

Jan





23 comments:

andrea @ tideline quilts said...

I love this awesome quilt! It reminds me of the beauty of birch trees in a forest....and I think your quilting is perfect for this quilt design! Love, love, love it!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

It is so cute and a nice quilt for a little boy! I am also getting a grandson in March (18)! Congratulations!

Jennifer said...

I love this quilt. Do you have a pattern? I love quilting and have made many. Right now I'm working on one for my teenage son.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I love this quilt and I don't usually like anything as modern in design as this, brilliant.

ukcitycrafter@live.co.uk

Unknown said...

I love it! I like that it's not a conventional baby quilt. So much more interesting! Thanks so much for linking it up at the "This Is How We Roll Thursday" link party!

Catherine said...

The photo of your baby quilt really caught my eye at the links at TGIFF. Super bright colours are just right for a baby and I love how they are broken up by the tree trunks.

Lorna McMahon said...

This is sure to be a hit! What a gorgeous quilt. Love those birch trees against the bright solids. And the minky backing? Cute and soft!

M-R Charbonneau said...

I love it! I love the birch trees. Fabulous textures with the quilting.

Kerstin said...

Great quilt! And all the best for your family and the new baby, how exciting!

Jayne said...

Its wonderful! I love unconventional baby quilts!

sonia said...

Great quilt! Love the colour and pattern!

sonia said...

Great quilt! Love the colour and pattern!

Kat said...

It looks great! I love the quilting design you chose.

JanineMarie said...

Such a cool quilt for a baby!! The straight line quilting looks fabulous with the trees. I know Rex Webb Steve (and his big brother) will love it. Have fun with that new grand baby!

Julie said...

This is a lovely quilt to grow with a baby into a little boy, or even a bigger boy! He is a lucky little boy.

Julie @ Pink Doxies

Pieces of Time said...

Your quilt makes me smile!! Did you piece the tree trunks? You stitched a treasure.
Jane in KS

Ruth said...

Really like your design for this - works so well for me as a baby quilt! All that starting and stopping too around the trees is worth it!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt and how unique!

Kate said...

Congrats on the finish. It's a bright and fun quilt, I'll bet your grandson loves it.

Unknown said...

Very nice, and nicely done. What was your design inspiration? It's very similar to Amandajean's on Crazy Mom Quilts. It is customary to mention sources (though I do see that your trees are branched and hers are not).

Anonymous said...

lovely quilt.

Adorned From Above said...

Thanks so much for sharing with Adorned From Above's Link Party. Look for the new party up tonight.
Have a great week.
Debi @ Adorned From Above

barbara woods said...

i found you on 'justusquilters' following you now