Sunday, October 26, 2014

Boo!


Have you ever seen such a wild quilt? This is for our 4 year old grandson for Halloween and was loads of fun to do. Thanks to logcabinquilts who has been reducing her stash (I know - I don't get it either) and offered fabrics to me, I was gifted all these cute Halloween fabrics. Some were yardage and others were small pieces but this pattern is perfect for those. Thank you, LG.

The pattern is from Wanda at Exuberant Color and she has a great tutorial on her blog. Click here for a direct link to her Cross Quilt. But pay attention to her instructions -- they are spot on and it always takes me about two rows of sewing to get my rhythm down right. It goes together like a dream and uses 6.5" strips rather than five 2.5" squares.  Goes together much faster. Thank you, Wanda.
The backing is fun and looked darling on the quilt. Candy corn fleece - what's not to love! And I think is really what my grandson likes the most.
And since this is for a 4 year old, will never be entered in a quilt show, and was just for fun, I decided to try my hand at free-hand quilting spiderwebs (in purple thread).  No rulers - no templates - no real plan.  He loved it and it's pretty forgiving!

So in the end, it was fun, went together quickly, I learned a lot quilting it, and it got to Toronto well before Halloween!

I hope you're finding time to quilt for someone you love!

Jan



8 comments:

Mary said...

What a great quilt! I've had Wanda's cross quilt on my to-do list for a long time.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

You are welcome for the tutorial. I'm glad to get some feedback on it that it worked so well. The bright quilt is perfect for a little one who loves Halloween and color.

Marly said...

Lovely fun quilt. Thanks for the link to the tutorial; I've been wanting to make a crosses quilt for some time, but was still puzzling about the relative sizes.

annies home said...

love them all so very fun
come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Andrea @ Mouse in My Pocket said...

How awesome! I love that you freehand quilted spider webs on the quilt. I'm sure that's just the touch a boy would love in his quilt. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Unknown said...

Great quilt. I love the colors!! Congrats with this gorgeous quilt!

Unknown said...

Great quilt. I love the colors!! Congrats with this gorgeous quilt!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great quilt. Bright colours.