Saturday, March 8, 2014

Fabric, Selvage, and Bunnies!


Don't you just love this fabric?  Who wouldn't love tumbling owls! This is being used as a border in a baby dedication quilt for a couple locally.  It's sort of a compilation quilt with three of us getting it completed.  My part is done and I've passed it along to the next lucky quilter.
Other than making the top for the dedication quilt, I've spent the last weeks working on Lollypops which I won't bore you with.  Suffice it to say that all 36 of the small border blocks are glued down (not appliquéd!) and 11 large blocks are laid out and ready to be glued.  Yippee!  This is slow going -- much like watching paint dry.

During all the 'fun' of creating, I was notified by Lee at Freshly Pieced Modern Quilts (one of the blogs that I follow and periodically link to) that I had won a $25 gift certificate to Pink Chalk Fabrics.  If you have never checked out Lee's blog, it's worth your time.  She is creative, posts frequently, and loves fabric.  Check her out.  Often.

Who doesn't like hearing that they have won free stuff -- particularly at an online fabric shop.  Now, in reality, I had never heard of Pink Chalk Fabrics but I had loads of fun deciding how to spend my money.  You know the drill -- notions?  blenders?  sale fabric?  something really special?  All very important questions.  By all means, if you haven't shopped at Pink Chalk Fabrics, it's worth a look.  Great fabrics.  Good prices.  Good selection.

I finally decided on two cuts of children's fabric that I can use in my baby quilts for the local hospital. To maximize my spend, I went with good fabrics that were in the sale section.  I adore them.  Check out this fabric --
This is a Moda from Japan with the absolutely cutest selvage I have ever seen. Look at those little bunnies.  Tell me you have seen anything cuter in a selvage!

I am happy to say that I have not gotten on the selvage bandwagon.  I regularly admire the art created by those who are selvage lovers.  It's one of the few quilting bandwagons that I haven't jumped on and I remain committed to staying away from it.  But, these little selvages are too cute to throw away.  So, if you are a selvage lover and would like a set of "bunnies" -- I'm happy to tear an inch down the side and send a set to the first three folks who send me an email at iquiltforfun@gmail.com.   They are just too sweet not to be put to good use or at least admired by someone who loves selvages.

I hope you are finding fabric that makes you happy!

Jan



10 comments:

quilt for fun said...

Before I ever found your blog, I picked "quiltforfun" as my google account name. Now here I am, posting to "I Quilt For Fun" blog! Would love to have that selvege to add to my collection.

Bonnie said...

I agree those bunnies are the cutest selvedge I've seen but save them for someone else. I am not getting in the selvedge business. (Of course, I will admit I have a oatmeal box full of them! Ooops and a fabric basic made with them!)

Dayquilt said...

LOVE the owl fabric! Can you tell me who made it/what line? The bunnies are adorable too, but I don't do selvages either.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Congrats on the wonderful win!! I love collecting selvage edges and hope to make something with them soon. Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Marly said...

Super fabrics for small children. I pass on the selvedges too.

Ruth said...

Congrats on the win - love your choice in fabric (especially the owls!)I've never used selvedges - mine go in the bin. It's worth making an exception for the bunnies though!

sherry said...

love those little owls

Esther Aliu said...

Yes I love those little owls, they are so charming!

RunningHen said...

Speaking of cute selvages from Japan...I bought Moda's "ninja" fabrics last summer, & they had little ninjas all along the edge like the bunnies. Too cute!
Stopping by via WIP: RunningHen.blogspot.com

Susan@Organized31 said...

Love your owl fabric and congrats on your win! Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday on Organized 31.