Thursday, June 20, 2013

Trade you!

Some of you may remember my gushing over the Daiwabo fabrics, design, and ultimately, the finished quilt top.  Man -- I love this!
But, these are fabrics well out of my price range and quite frankly, out of my normal comfort zone when it comes to color and tone.  So -- how did I get so lucky?  I'm glad you asked.
A few years ago, I posted about falling out of love with this quilt block.  When I saw the original quilt (made from old kimonos) in a Quilters Newsletter, I fell madly in love with it and knew it was how I wanted to use up my scraps from the Wavy Log Cabin I had made.
I sort of believe that these beautiful Asian fabrics can't really go on your shelves by color -- like Kaffe fabrics (in my little world), they have to stay together.  So, I had a tote of every little scrap as I couldn't bear to throw them away. But I got tired of it.  I fell out of love.  I don't really like paper piecing and the process was taking the joy out of the design.  I thought the blocks were fabulous and the potential for the quilt was great -- but I was losing any mojo for finishing it.  And into a shoe box it went!
Wavy Log Cabin
At the same time, mom22smartchix was losing her mojo for the Daiwabo quilt.  These little blocks look so simple. Ha!  Lining up 1/2" strips after you have sub-cut is not easy and there is a lot of ripping involved.  Whether it was a pity swap or a joyous swap, I'll never know for sure -- but last year during a visit, we gladly gave each other our shoeboxes and walked away from our projects.
I am still doing the Snoopy Happy Dance that I don't have to paper piece all those strips -- and now the Daiwabo top is done and making me smile every time I walk by it.  It's in the living room -- never even made it upstairs to the quilt top closet.  I have chosen not to fret about how to quilt it or what color thread as those decisions are far far away -- instead, I am tickled it's done and happy to have it to look at and all the little snippets remain isolated (of course) in their shoebox!

Tired of something that you started -- find a friend to trade with -- it's a blast!

Jan

17 comments:

Ricky in Codman Square said...

What a brilliant idea! I have a few projects that have been sitting 3/4 of the way created for years, and I just can't force myself to go back to them. This is a great way to walk away from them without any guilt.

Smultronbo said...

I love those squareblocks. Really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Aunt Marti said...

Jan, what a brilliant idea! So glad you posted it.

Leanne Parsons said...

What a great system! The quilt top is amazing too.

Jennifer Hughes said...

Have you linked up with the Friday Flash Blog Linky Party yet? Link up your ONE best post of the week and check out other people's awesome entries. You may just get highlighted next week!

Jennifer @ The Jenny Evolution
http://thejennyevolution.com/category/linky-parties/friday-flash-blog/

Loris said...

Great idea! and gorgeous quilts! Your friend got a treasure too!

M-R Charbonneau said...

What a great idea! And it turned out beautiful too. Now you have a great story to go along with your great quilt! Thanks for linking up to TGIFF!

Quilter Kathy said...

A fabulous idea and a creative solution!

Melinda said...

Sounds like a perfect trade - and you both got the best of it!

mycreativecorner3 said...

what a great idea, swap! I love the little four patch too. I have had my eye one similar for quite some time. Your Asian fabric block is very striking!

Lori said...

a perfect match! I like the neutral colors--even though they are out of my comfort range too!

The Sassy Quilter said...

What a fun idea, i have definitely felt like doing that! They look so perfect so it was a success for sure:)

Connie said...

It is so neat that you both are so happy with the swap....great idea and what a great quilt! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

momiji said...

Gorgeous! I love the Daiwabo quilt, with its muted, sophisticated colors. The block is actually the same as the one for the lattice quilt I'm working on now--I knew I coudn't have been the one to invent this block!

wannabequilter.com said...

Fantastic idea! Just swap the whole lot and get a project you WANT fo finish! :)

BeColorful said...

This definitely worked out well for both of your. We should all probably be doing more trading. :D Thanks for sharing your post this week.
p

Susan@Organized31 said...

Snoopy happy dancing with you. Perfect solution. Thanks for sharing at Inspire Us Thursday at Organized 31.